Black History Assembly was incredible! Thanks to Jennifer Smith, Dr. Lewis, Maya Norris-Fernandez and London Walker for doing an amazing job! We learned that each of us can positively contribute to history by having a dream, working hard, and going to school just like Charles Lewis, Michelle Obama and Shaq. We will be focusing on many inspiring black people this month during morning assembly and in the classrooms so we can continue to learn from and be inspired by them.
Snow Day Calendar Changes:
As a result of discussions with the Charter School Institute, we will be addressing the snow day situation as follows:
The following scheduled report card days (when students were not scheduled to attend school) on: • Monday, March 9th and • Friday, May 15th will be changed to 1⁄2 days with an early release for students.
Teachers will still be able to work on report cards in the afternoon on those days.
Also, because our kindergarten students started school a week after the rest of our students: If needed, we will offer 1 to 2 half days for kindergarten students on Tuesday and Wednesday-May 26th and 27th, after Memorial Day. This will only be necessary if we have more than one snow day before the end of the school year.
Cultural Show: Our calendar has had 3 cultural events listed on February 21st, March 20th, and April 17th. The CILA staff would like to combine the content of those events into one incredible show, CILA’s first annual:
International Cultural Show! ~We Are the World~
Wednesday, March 4th at 1:00 p.m.
Students from each language village will be preparing to share their language and culture just as in past years, but will be performing during one amazing show!
Students will also be able to participate in meaningful events on the early release days (scheduled to provide time for teacher PD in the afternoons):
February 21st: CILA’s Got Talent- Talent Show requested by students! March 20th: Read Across America Day with Literary Figure Parade April 17th: STEM Family Event
We are having discussions with the Charter School Institute about how to ensure enough contact hours for our students now that we have had 6 snow days. Our situation is more complicated than most because of many grade levels and two programs with different requirements. We will keep you posted on next steps.
Even though our buses have been plugged in each night, we have had trouble with them starting in extremely cold weather. We are looking for other solutions and appreciate your patience.
• February is Black History Month! Stories will be shared throughout the month during Morning Assembly and we will also have special assembly this Friday, February 14th featuring Dr. Regina Lewis at 8:10 a.m. in the auditorium. • This month is also the Kids Heart Challenge! Watch for information to come home with students from Mr. Riis.
• Monday, February 17th: President's Day - No school! • Tuesday, February 18th: Board Meeting-5:30 p.m. • Friday, February 21st: CILA Talent Show in the morning, specific times determined after tryouts-Early Release-12:00 p.m.
• Monday, February 24th: Respectful Awards
• Thursday, February 27th: Principal and Parents Talk Time-8:05-Regular Program; 8:30 Home School Program. Bagels and Coffee provided.
• Monday, March 2nd: School Accountability Meeting
• Wednesday, March 4th: International Cultural Show at 1:00 p.m.
• Monday, March 9th: Snow Day Adjustment to Calendar-1⁄2 day, students attend in the morning- Early Release; Report Card Day for Teachers in the afternoon
• Tuesday, March 17th: Board Meeting-5:30 p.m. • Friday, March 20th: Read Across America Day-Early Release- 12:00 p.m.
• March 23rd-27th: Spring Break
When can I speak with Dr. Frazier?
• Most mornings during Power Walk- weather permitting
• Most afternoons during dismissal • Wednesdays from 2-4: Set up a time with email@example.com
• Principal and Parents Talk Time each quarter: Thursday, Feb. 27th • Time sensitive issues- During the day I am often visiting classrooms or meeting with teams, but please feel free to access me before or after school to determine a time to meet during the day or have the front desk staff contact me.
Math Masters - Back Next Week!
For more information about the Math Masters Program and how you can help your student master math facts, please contact Martha Salazar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CILA’s Got Talent!
Friday, February 21st - 8:30 a.m.
The idea for a CILA talent show came from second grader James Cruz- Rodriguez when he was asked to write
a persuasive writing piece in Mrs. Crouch’s class. Obviously many students agreed with him that it was a great idea! The show starts at 8:30 a.m. this Friday and there are 32 acts, so it will last a little under two hours. Please have students come to school in costumes ready to go so we can avoid too many students changing in the bathrooms at the same time. If students would like to sign up to display art or writing as part of the show, sign up sheets are at the front desk. The deadline to submit art or writing is Wednesday, February 19th. If your child is involved in the show and is doing something with music, please send your music to Valeria Lee at email@example.com by Wednesday, the 19th so she can put the music in order.
Kids Heart Challenge!
This month in PE, CILA students will be participating in an exciting WARRIOR CHALLENGE presentation featuring our Heart Hero friends to teach us how to keep our hearts healthy! We will be sending home information with your student.
WHOA!!! IF YOU RAISE $150 YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SLIME MR. RIIS!
Forgot to pay your $30.00 Materials Fee?
We are missing some payments and would prefer to save parents from a reminder call. The materials fee is $30.00 for the first student and $15.00 for each additional sibling. Please pay online at: